Thursday, January 26, 2012

Building peer relationships via DE

I am struggling with making connections in the completely submerged online class.  It is hard to get involved because there is so much going on.  It is difficult for me to focus on all the different discussions we have going on.   However thanks Kim and Noel and their email with the clever hint of starring the thread to keep me informed.  I didn't even realize that is what the gold star was for.  I always want to share early on and then I forget until the day before and I feel so overwhelmed that's its impossible for me to catch up.   I am hoping that by starring the discussions that are valuable to me I can stay current and pace myself but also remind myself to continually visit D2L.  Hopefully with the constant reminders I can feel more involved with the discussions in the asynchronous weeks.
I also see myself struggling to be heard in the synchronous chats.  I do not want to step over another person who is talking and the class is full of active participants which is great, however its difficult to be heard.  I do like the text chat because it allows me to formulate a response.  I like being able to think about it for a minute before responding.  
I would like to see a system devised so that everyone is able to verbally participate in the discussion.  A suggestion is maybe having everyone, who wants to talk, raises their hand in Adobe and Dr. Park or whoever is leading the discussion could facilitate the discussion accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment